Ortloff Organ Company announces the signing of a contract with Groton School for major work on the landmark 1935 Aeolian-Skinner organ in St. John’s Chapel. Often considered the birthplace of the American Classic organ, the instrument served as a laboratory for G. Donald Harrison, and was heavily revised over the next 30 years.
The console, previously rebuilt in the 1985, will have its case and interior refinished, keyboards and pedalboard restored, and all ivory hardware retained. The knobheads, replaced in the previous rebuilding, will be re-engraved in the correct pre-WWII font. We will also make a new top in appropriate style to replace the current spurious top. A new SSOS control system completes the work.
Work will commence in September of this year with the removal of the console and the installation of a temporary console. Project completion is scheduled for early 2024.